How to Make Spinach and Ricotta Triangles
With the low-carb and gluten-free movements going strong, baking might seem to be on the back burner in Australia. But I don't think that being healthy and eating well means we can never again enjoy a good piece of bread or a tasty golden pastry.
Balance is the key. Even if we don't need to eat sweets every day or even every week, we should still be able to treat ourselves and enjoy something without feeling bad about it.
These spinach and ricotta triangles taste great and have a lot of spinach filling, which can only be a good thing. A decent gluten-free pastry is simple to find, so even if you have a gluten allergy, you can still create them. If you're interested in learning the recipe for delicious sweets, read on!
What are Spinach and Ricotta Triangles?
Spinach and ricotta triangles are a type of Italian pastry made with fresh spinach, ricotta cheese, and flaky dough. They are popular in Italy and North America and can be found at many Italian bakeries and restaurants.
Ricotta cheese Is an Italian delicacy that is made from sheep's milk. It has a mild flavor and a creamy texture, making it perfect for pasta dishes, lasagna, or pizza.
Fresh spinach is a nutrient-rich leafy green vegetable that is often used in salads, sandwiches, or soups. Combined with ricotta cheese and flaky dough, it makes for a delicious and nutritious meal.
So, Whether you're looking for an impressive dish to serve at a dinner party or you're just looking for a delicious way to enjoy some fresh pasta, spinach and ricotta triangles are an excellent choice.
The Health Benefits of Spinach and Ricotta Triangles
The Health Benefits of the spinach and ricotta triangle are many and varied. For one, they're a good source of protein, calcium, and vitamin A.
They're great for dieters because they have few calories and no fat. In addition, these triangles are easy to make and can be enjoyed as part of a healthy diet.
Steps on How to Make Spinach And Ricotta Triangles
- 15 sheets of puff pastry or filo pastry
- 300g of fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 50g feta cheese
- Spinach (thawed and squeezed)
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- Three tablespoons of fresh basil, dill, mint, or chives, chopped (or a combination)
- One scallion (finely chopped)
- One piece of garlic (minced)
- Two tablespoons of sesame seeds
Step 1: Setting things up
Preheat the oven to 180°C and then spray oil on two baking sheets. Put olive oil in a pan and heat it over medium heat. Sauté the onion for a couple of minutes until it loses its raw sheen. Next, add the minced garlic and then the spinach. Adding a tablespoon of hot water to frozen spinach will help soften it.
Step 2: Making the spinach mixture
- Drain until all the water is gone and the spinach is no longer frozen.
- If you are using fresh spinach, Cook spinach in a small saucepan of boiling salted water for 30 seconds or until just wilted.
- Set it aside to cool down.
- Add the spinach, ricotta, parsley, Italian herbs, Parmesan, nutmeg, finely grated rind of lemon zest, and salt and pepper to a mixing bowl.
Step 3: Preparing the filo pastry
- Put partially thawed pastry sheets on baking paper.
- Use melted butter and brush pastry lightly.
- Add a second sheet of filo pastry to the top.
- Repeat the process with a little more melted butter and one more sheet of filo pastry.
Step 4: Folding the pastry into a triangular shape
- Make three even strips by cutting across.
- Put three heaping teaspoons of the spinach mixture on one short end of one strip of filo.
- Make a triangle out of it by folding it in half.
- Keep folding in a triangle shape to close up the filling.
- Do it with the rest of the filo, butter, and filling.
- Put triangles on trays that have been set up.
- Use butter to brush and Sprinkle with paprika.
Step 5: Baking
- Put the Spinach and Ricotta Triangles onto the sprayed baking tray in the Oven.
- Bake it for about 20-25 minutes until the pastry is golden and crispy.
- Serve all the pastry.
So there you have it, our easy and healthy spinach and ricotta triangles. They're perfect for a quick snack or a light meal and delicious that even the fussiest of eaters will love them. This Italian recipe is a type of food that is very popular among people who are health conscious.
We wish you as much fun in the kitchen with them as we had to develop the recipe for you. Do you have any additional ideas for nutritious treats we can prepare together? Well, if you have, you can visit healthymummy.com for more health tips and recipes.